Friday, August 13, 2010

Ode to Chennai



Namma Chennai is a gift to MY WORLD (my blog) on celebrating it's third year.
I have been wanting to do something for this amazing place called Chennai which has made my life so beautiful .So , here i start today with a blog on ODE TO CHENNAI !!

Chennai is more famous for it beaches and the kodambakkam area. When you first come to chennai you may hate it .But then , Chennai grows on you after a while and you will start loving it .I landed in central railway station for the first time in the month of January .I was just 20 years old then and wondered if chennai will change my life or will it make me a failure and get me back to where i came from .With so many thoughts running in my mind , i started my career in chennai and there is no looking back from then. It has been ten years since am living here and i absolutely love this place .Chennai is where the rock stars meet the madisar maamis. It can happen no where else !!! Namma chennai has the best beaches in the country -Soon , we can claim it will the world's best too .

Most of them start their day here with Idly,sambar ,Dosai ,Pongal along with a filter kaapi, Slowly the breads and sandwiches are tagging along.We have our very own Sathyam theatre which is a part of anyone and everyone's nostalgia.Spencer plaza is now accompanied by Citi centre ,Ampa Mall and Express Avenue.When it comes to eat outs and restaurants-the list is endless .However , let me make a mention of some amazing places where i have gone atleast a 100 times. Barista for a nice coffee chat , Kebab Court for their lovely paneer dish, Rain Forest which was a unique theme restaurant who have become so popular that they never have a table for me these days,GRT for their "Anytime"restaurant as we can just hang in there anytime and how can i forget Cake walk for their yummy pastries and my nostalgic memories.I have to mention Shangai Club in Chola Sheraton as it is the most romantic place ever to dine (at least for me)

Chennai has some of the best when it comes to shopping .T Nagar area bustles with shopaholics. I avoided this area in fear of the mad rush but one day i had to be a part of the madness too .When my marriage got finalised , i ended spending every sunday in T nagar for about a month . Must say -It was a different kind of fun ..Nalli 100 became my favorite boutique to pick that one gorgeous saree for every special occasion. I wish i could list as many shops possible , but the list is really endless when it comes to shopping .So ,i shall save it for another time .

For now all i can say is "NAMMA CHENNAI SUPERRUUUU"

3 comments:

  1. I will say Chennai has given me so many gud things/accomplishments in life...my first job, marriage and our recent wonder :) I'll not justify myself if I say I hate chennai in one word but still if u ask me if I like the place to live & go ahead I will say a big NO..or rather not my kind of city!!

    But still I'l be regular in this space of urs too...atleast to go thru 5yrs memories of Chennai life. But but....dont think this space will occupy any special place in me...its always reserved for "My world"!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey..
    thanks for always being so kind in ur comments, makes me want to write more ..u saying my world is special makes me feel very special sharmi

    thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you must ask the person who would be living in a diff city, especially abroad (mideast in specific) about what is so special about this Place.. They would talk for hours describing inch by inch of the city. Since i know the difference myself. Ofcourse today's Chennai is a traffic nightmare, poor roads, etc.. but every city has its own issues. But i cant think of another place, where security is not a major concern, best in class local transport, passionate & knowledged Cricket fans, Policing standards, Medical tourism, Education, Food, etc... Ofcourse wat we probably lack is the glamour & fully westernised culture unlike bangalore or mumbai. And yeah, hot-hotter-hottest summer. But who can match in taking pride as we do for producing a r rahman, Maniratnam, kamalhassan & evergreen Youngster rajini..Even dhoni is in our pockets !!! Namma Chennai Supperroooooo Supper appu

    ReplyDelete